Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tastey Tuesday

I have two recipes to share and a progress report.

In my attempt to go gluten/package free - I've succeeded, so far, to stay gluten free.  Staying package free has been more of a challenge.  Not that staying gluten free hasn't, but the packaging thing is tougher.  First real bomb was on Saturday night when I had ALL my girls at home (Destiny, Skyla, Stephanie, and Justice).  They all wanted speghetti.  So I obliged.  However, I didn't eat flour speghetti, I had brown rice pasta (gluten free) but it was still a processed item from a package.  Then I had one small piece of pizza (oops, I guess I haven't been 100% gluten free - gggrr) on Sunday night after Destiny brought home pizza - phooie!

I'm ok with my slip ups.  Even though I've slipped, I've made healthy choices and my body is detoxing itself.  I am feeling better, but I know I can do better.  Last night's dinner also included some packaged items, that I will explain in my recipe.  Oh and I really slipped when I had some cheese last night.  But I can explain.  I bought a package (I know package) of Gluten Free Brown Rice Tortillas and I wanted to try one.  So I threw one up in the microwave, heated it a smidge and then tasted it.  Let's just say, boring!  Well I didn't want it to go to waste, so I cut up some pepper jack cheese (my fav) and melted it on the tortilla.  WOW not bad.  It's amazing how cheese can fix everything - GGGRRR.

Ok, onto the recipes.  First up is for my carnivore friends and family.  I made this last week and it was a huge success with the family, that I decided to do it again because Stephy was there.

Southwestern Chicken (adapted from Eat For Health - Book 2)
Serves 4

1 cup Salsa (low sodium) (I used the kind that's in the refrigerated section, whole container) (You could also use homemade salsa)
1 cup black beans or red kidney beans, low or no sodium (I used a whole can)
1 cup of fresh or frozen sweet corn (I used a whole can)
2 Tbls fresh chopped cilantro (I used more like a half a cup - the fam loves cilantro)
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used a whole family pack - 6-8 pieces)

Preheat oven to  350 degrees (I actually used 400 degrees, I suppose it would depend on your oven)
Mix salsa, corn, beans, and cilantro together
The recipe says to spoon 1/2 the salsa mixture over the chicken and marinade for at least 1 hour - ya I didn't do that and apparently it wasn't needed.
What I did was place the chicken in a slightly greased baking dish and poured the whole salsa mixture overtop of the chicken.
Bake chicken for 30 minutes or until cooked through (at 400 degrees in my oven, 30 minutes was the exact time to cook the chicken through, yet keep it moist)
Recipe says to slice chicken breasts and top with remaining salsa (however, since I used up all the salsa in the baking process, the salsa was already there :) )


Served it with salad and steamed brocolli and asparagus - the family loved it!

Recipe #2 for my fellow vegetarians/vegans (also enjoyed by my carnivore family)

Lentils with Chickpeas and Couscous (adapted from Vegetarian Times)
click on the recipe title to go straight to the recipe as written.

Shannon's adaptations

I used red lentils, because that's what I had in my cupboard
I did not use raisins
I used a gluten-free brown rice couscous (packaged, I know) (next time I will use quinoa)
I didn't use carrots, not sure why
I didn't use mint
and I forgot to toast the pine nuts - LOL - oh well

All in all it turned out good.  Everyone liked the lentil/chickpea sauce that they stuck it on top of the chicken (of course Mark picked around the garbanzo beans - LOL)
I believe I overcooked the lentils, but again, overall it's ok.  Next time I think I'd spice it up a bit more, maybe some fire roasted green chilis.

Let me know if you try either or both of these recipes and what you think.

Today I golf with my league, Twilight Club, at Rolling Greens GC in Rocklin.  This is a nice little 9 hole course, with a couple of really tough wholes.

Stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment